Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Honorable Mention

I was very pleased to receive notification today that I had garnered an Honorable Mention in a recent painting challenge. This is an online event at Artist Mentors Online, a project of Kevin Macpherson. This was very exciting personally because I hold Kevin in great esteem as a painter and teacher. I highly recommend his two books, Fill Your Oil Paintings With Light and Color, and Landscape Painting, Inside and Out.

The challenge for this painting was to use a single large brush for the entire painting. In my case, I used a Princeton #12 syntheyic flat (about 1" wide) on a 12 x 16 panel.

 This is a view from Picardy in northern France. My wife and I had the good fortune to spend two weeks in Europe this summer, and much of our drive was occupied with visiting First World War memorials. We had stopped at a memorial for Canadian soldiers who lost thier lives at the Battle of Courcelette, and this was the view across the fields towards the village. I have plans to do more paintings from that trip, from images of the Netherlands and Belgium, as well as France.

No comments:

Post a Comment